"The best doctors are:
Dr. Diet, Dr. Quiet
And Dr. Merry-man."
As we move into late Fall/Early Winter, you are probably aware of the growing number of Coronavirus cases that are occurring everywhere throughout our country, and the world. In just the last 7 days alone, the U.S. has seen over one million new cases, which far exceeds the predictions made by doctors and scientists during the summer. Instead of being frightened by what is unfolding however, we can take responsibility for our health and do all that we can to boost our immune systems, so that, if we do contract the virus (or the flu for that matter), we have a much better chance to recover fully and more quickly. What follows then, are several steps you can take right now to strengthen your immune system, bring yourself into harmony and balance, and increase the radiant energy (Qi) in your body. And best of all, none of these suggestions will cost you anything, except a little time and the discipline to actually do them. Finally, please remember that these are suggestions, and as such, if you are in poor health already, you should check with your doctor to make sure they are right for you. With that said, here we go...
1. Breath deeply, and then breathe some more! Study after study has shown that deep breathing not only reduces stress in the body but also boosts the immune system. Most importantly, it promotes a strong respiratory system, which is what we need when we are fighting Covid or any other respiratory illness. I highly recommend learning Tummo Breathing, a Buddhist technique, which in recent years has been popularized by 'The Iceman', Wim Hof, an incredible teacher from the Netherlands. Here is an example of the healing power of this technique. Several years ago, Wim and several of his students volunteered to be injected with an endotoxin, which would usually bring about symptoms such as fever, chills, headache and throwing up. After receiving the injections, all of the study participants began to do Tummo Breathing and none of them ended up experiencing any symptoms. This experiment was then replicated a second time, with the same results (you can find the details on this study online). You can find many videos of Wim teaching Tummo on YouTube, and he also has a free app that you can download to your smartphone. You can also join the Tao Tribe for one of our Wed. evening meditations, where we regularly practice Tummo Breathing before we meditate. Please note: the one area that I slightly disagree with Wim, who says that it doesn't matter whether we breathe through the nose or mouth while Tummo Breathing, is that it is best done through the nose and out of the mouth, and many studies have concluded the same thing.
2. Move you body, Now! Whether it is doing Qigong or yoga; walking, cycling or running; study after study has shown that exercise also boosts the immune system, reduces stress (there's that word again), is good for your cardiovascular system, and also promotes good sleep, which is also a key for good health and well-being. Pick something, anything, and committee yourself to moving at least several times per week, preferably enough to get your heart rate up.
3. Eat a healthy diet (and yes, you DO know what that is). An apple is better for you than a Snickers Bar, so just choose the foods that you know bring energy, health and harmony to your body. Eat enough of them everyday, and your immune system will thank you. Also remember that a large dose of sugar, such as eating a cupcake, compromises your immune system and makes you more susceptible to a virus for at least an hour after you eat it.
4. Drink a ton of water. 64 ounces might be good for someone who is 125 pounds, but if you are heavier than that, drink at least half your body weight in water every day. For example, if you're 200 pounds, 100 ounces of water will be optimal for your body. And don't be surprised that when you start drinking more water that you actually have more energy, brighter skin and a better mental attitude.
5. Take supplements and herbs that are proven to boost your immune system. Recent studies have shown that over 80% of people who contract Covid are Vitamin D deficient, so start right there. Vitamin C and zinc are also great ways to keep the immune system up and running, as well as Olive Leaf Extract, which is a powerful anti-viral that has been around since the days of Cleopatra. Shitake Mushroom extract can also be taken in capsule form and is known to have anti-viral properties. These herbs have also been known to cure the HPV and Herpes Virus, or at least reduce it to the point where you will experience less frequent outbreaks. Of course, if you are on any medications, you should check with your doctor to make sure it is safe for you to take any of these supplements or herbs.
6. Meditate regularly. Again, study after study has shown that sitting still and turning within can, and will heal your body and boost your immune system. Not only that, it brings peace of mind, calmness, and joy, all of which are life-affirming and stress reducing. If you don't know how to meditate, or wish to meditate with a group, feel free to join us at one of our weekly gatherings on Zoom. Details are on the classes page.
So, there you have it. Although there is no guarantee that if we follow these simple steps we won't contract Covid or some other virus, you will definitely decrease your chances, and give yourself a much greater opportunity to recover fully if you do come down with something. All you have to do, is do it! Make your health your #1 priority, and have the discipline to continue, no matter what. As Wim Hof has said: